Thursday, January 14, 2010

Today one of our projects was to clip the wings of our new layers. Maddie, Will, Lucy, Sammy and I were assigned to the task. I think we started out with about 250 or something but that number has dwindled somewhat due to foxes and other various acts of nature:) Anyways, so out we go to the field, armed with a pair of scissors. Will, Lucy and Sam took turns catching the birds. I sat on my five-gallon bucket and did the honors, somehow managing to keep all of my fingers amidst the struggling that entailed as each chicken was tossed into my lap! Maddie's job was to take the clipped birds to the holding pen, She trotted back and forth between the two pens in her flip flops. (She would insist on wearing them at the first hint of warm weather! Upper 40's is warm enough for flip flops?) Well, she changed her tune once it was her turn to catch the birds inside the pen! But with a few good natured grumbles she did it anyways. (By the way, lest you think I'm telling all of the stories on Maddie, she's leaning over my shoulder as I write this, giving me tidbits to write!:) There was a great deal of good natured laughing at each other and hollering over the noise the chickens made. Before we were half through the big bell rang, signaling lunch time. We trooped inside and enjoyed the delicious lunch Mom had prepared for us. (Katie wants me to tell you that while we were outside, she was cleaning the whole house and mopping while telling Hannah to stop playing with Bess:) After lunch our team headed back outside to finish up. After we had clipped the last bird we dragged the hoop house full of pullets to the hen pen so we could integrate the two flocks. After that we spread out a layer of mulch and old hay on the floor of the hens permanent winter spot. Tomorrow the Wright boys are coming over for a work day. I think the main focus tomorrow is tackling the front of the Big Barn *shudder* :) Well, that's all I have to write tonight, the beginning of the week wasn't enough to mention, not so much as others have I'm sure:) Bye for now!
-Morgan

12 comments:

The Gentleman From Virginia said...

Man, with all that cutting I could've just waited till today and gone to your house instead of listening to 2 ladies tell of the horrors of downtown D.C. at the hair cuttery yesterday :) It was entertaining though. [in the slightly interesting "uh- I think my mom's calling me" kind of way. Pretty cold for flip-flops. Cheers to the mopper ;)

thedonahues7@verizon.net said...

Last time I clipped wings on our hens it was a mess. I I was using my father's big snips. The wings ended up looking like chewed finger nails :)! Anyway I thing it is great that your family can all work together like that.

Graham

Morgan said...

Great description Graham! "Chewed finger nails"! Well, a couple of mine did end up looking like that too. That particular pair of scissors wasn't the sharpest pair in the world! :)

Oliver said...

Hello! Were y'all able to knock out the front of the big barn.

Morgan said...

Hey Oliver,
Thanks for asking, we were able to get alot done! It's not completely finished yet but we made alot of headway!

♥Katie said...

Oh, Morgan!!
It's been a long time since you last posted! Let's do one soon! Maybe I'll do one!=)
Your lil' sis,
Keek;)

Oldest of many said...

Keek?!? Ok. Umm...were you talking about doing the music thing katie? If you were I think that would be a good idea. I have been thinking about the bys song and I had an idea for a good arangment.
See ya!!
~matthew

Anonymous said...

Well Katie, If your gonna write a post it better be soon cuz I'm tyerd of lookin' at the same thing!;)
-Maddie

Oldest of many said...

AMEN!!!!! (jjk, half;)

♥Katie said...

Hey Matthew,
Yeah, thats what I'm talkin' adout!
So if you got an idea, than spill it!=)
Keek;)

Butler Family Member said...

If y'all didn't see it yet, I tagged Katie on our blog. -Kendal

Oldest of many said...

KT,
I sent you an email with my idea for the tag.
I'll be seein' ya